Followers

3/09/2016

Altenew Botanicals and Watercoloring

Good Morning...Happy Wednesday. We're supposed to have a 76F temperature day, but our sunshine is in & out.

Two of my good blog friends have started a new challenge here (Bonnie & Loll) and Our Darnell has NBUS Challenge #6 going on. So I've tried to find time each day to make 'something' that would fit in these challenges;  each day something would come up to delay my good intentions.

This is one of those cards that _should_ have been so easy. Tried several different times working with watercolors and this pretty Altenew Botanical image - each one was a bust. Finally got one I could go with, so here it is:

 
 
- Altenew Botanical Clear flower was embossed with Ranger's Gold on Bristol Smooth paper (it's quite like watercolor paper, except a smooth surface). First effort, created the water colored background & stamped, embossed. Decided the flower blossom should not have the background colors. Restamped the flower first; masked it with the Molotow masking pen, which I'd used before with good results. Did a background watercolor wash with Kuretake Gansai Tambi  watercolors which I'd had for about 6 months**, unopened. Results were good, but when I removed the masking, the flower blossom was mottled with the blue ink of the masking fluid. The mask rolled up fine, but it appeared that the fluid had absorbed into the paper. This pen came from another source than did the first pen I had used & had been used on Copic Xpress paper.
 
Anyway, this 3rd effort worked better - stamping and embossing, no masking, just creating the water color washed background.... and at the last minute, decided to use Zig Brush markers to color the flower Lilac.
 
- Die cut with a Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle Frames. This is one of those times I didn't look at the die as closely as should have, and discovered it cuts out an inner layer with a stitched frame. Worked great for what I wanted, but something to remember. (I probably won't!). Used the outer stitched frame, and then popped up the inner portion on white fun foam.
 
- Elizabeth Craft dragon fly cut from 2 different snippets of previously created backgrounds, using sprays, brushos or something of the sort.
 
- The motif was layered on a white rectangle- which is just a bit creamier shade than was the card base. I liked the slight contrast. Layered onto a top fold plain white card base. As I looked at the plainness (let's call it CAS, shall we?) I thought about doodling a frame around the base card using a lilac marker. Folks, I was just too afraid that I'd mess  it all up! Like I said, this is one of those cards that really should have been an easy, no brainer. Didn't happen that way!
 
**Lesson learned from not opening packages, instead just tucking away to look at later. When I opened the Gansai Tambi box, several of the pans were broken. I'm guessing this happened in shipping, as I know I didn't drop the box. Set was ordered from Amazon when after seeing the product on some Youtubes. Since it's been a while ago, I can't contact Amazon to complain about the broken blocks of color. They will still work ok, but it's something to remember. Check out your packages when they arrive....don't just stack on Mount NBUS as I've done.  
 
 I'd like to enter this CAS card, with the mixed media techniques:  Stamping, Heat embossing, water coloring, & die cutting over at the CAS Mix Up Card Challenge. This challenge is open for 15 more days, and already has lots of fabulous entries.
 
 
 
Also would like to submit to the NBUS #6 which closes in one more day!
 
 
 
 
Both these are fun challenges hosted by some fantastically talented cardmaking bloggers, so I hope you'll find time to join in the fun!
 
Thanks for popping in. Hugs

46 comments:

  1. This is so pretty Mary! A great water-coloured focal piece! I hear you about putting things to one side and then, later, finding out there's something wrong! Have a very lovely day my friend! Hazel xx
    My Card Attic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's lovely Mary. What lovely colours. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you persevered and kept going and didn't give up. The resulting card is lovely. the colours you have chosen for the seed head are fab. It is wet cold and miserable here today. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful CAS card Mary. I know CAS is not your normal style, so appreciate all the effort you did to make this gorgeous creation. LOVE the watecoloured layered and stitched backgrounds. Your bloom is so pretty along with the pretty dragonflies that add so much dimension. I have been playing around with watercoloured backgrounds (video will be released Mar. 15) and found that if I stamp my image first, add the watercolour background and then blot inside the image with a paper towel right away, I can remove a lot of the colour and then watercolour over top once the background is dry. I'm too impatient to wait for masking fluid to dry! :)

    Thanks for sharing your beautiful card with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovley CAS card, Mary. A beautiful water coloured image. Thanks for the tip about opening packages as soon as you get them. It's so easy to add them to the NBUS mountain to look at later. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful, Mary!! The watercolored image looks amazing!! I love the dragonfly, too!! I've done the same thing with packages...found something broken or missing when it's too late to return. Hopefully I learned my lesson :) Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, I am loving the card.

    How annoying about the Amazon parcel.

    Hope you are having a good week. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your CAS is so beautiful and love so much the blossom and your watercolouring! The pretty dragonfly is a perfect touch to complement the topper!
    I open immediately my package, I'm always so excited to see my purchases! :D ...But it has happened to find an open marker or a jar of embossing powder with a crack... :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Love that washed background with the double layer and your flower is so pretty! The dragonfly adds just the extra to take this to WOW! See how well you do CAS? Good tip about checking items once they come in. I've been caught like that too. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really pretty watercolored flower and the background goes beautifully with it, and just adore the dragonfly you have added. The Kuretake Gansai Tambi paints are such lovely colours but it is sad that some were damaged and will take your tip about opening things to check they are OK and not leave it too long. Luckily the damage won't affect your using them. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done for persevering Mary, the final result is beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card, love the subtle colours and the CAS design.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely Clean and simple design, your colours are beautiful and so glad that your perseverance paid off in the end.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  14. This came out so pretty with the watercoloring and the delicate dragonfly!
    Thanks for the tip about checking our purchases after they arrive. I am also guilty of just adding them to Mt. NBUS...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is wonderful Mary, the pretty delicate background is a delight. I really admire your persistence...I would have fallen at the first hurdle!! The frame looks really good and having recently bought an Altenew sentiment set can vouch for the excellent quality xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, sorry to hear that the containers were cracked. Mary, your watercolor is beautiful! Love gold EP with pretty colors, especially watercolor. Beautiful card! Glad you're enjoying the pretty weather! Hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous CAS card Mary, beautiful image and love the background colour.
    Not good to get a parcel with damage contents, shame it`s to late to complain.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty card, Mary. Yes, you should always check things when they come in. I found that out the hard way. Have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fabulous Mary. The flower is so pretty and love the CAS design.
    Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Hugs Sharon. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. They always say the third time's the charm, right? YOu did great on this card. and I love how the black body on the dragonfly adds a touch of drama to this card! Great layering and colors and I hope you got the chance to enjoy a beautiful day. It was 80 here and just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is really gorgeous!
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darling card, like the firefly! Perseverance pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  23. For a card that seemed to have given you some frustration, it turned out really pretty. Sorry to hear about the broken stiff you got from Amazon but hope you can still use them

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the beautiful soft green bg colour with the lovely simple and striking flower, Mary!!! And what a stunning little dragonfly!!!! This is really lovely and fit for so many occasions!!!
    Have a wonderful day!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remember the first times I used watercolour; it didn't look right at all! But I learnt to work with it and I think it now is one of the quickest ways to colour:)
    Love the colours you used and that watercolour looks good! You should try to let it dry (totally or a bit) and then draw some accents/darker, so you get more depth; think for sure you can do that and you would like that! Succes! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh so sad to read about the broken ink pads...must make you feel so sad. Your coloring is super gorgeous
    PS : I am having a celebration on my blog...please do drop in when you can.Here is the link : 5 Million Page-views Celebration

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow what an adventure you had! But the result is fantastic! Gorgeous card!
    Xoxo Olga

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pretty, pretty card Mary. Well worth all the attempts!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A super CAS style card Mary. I love the water colour effect and the pretty colours you used. This card is well worth all the effort and perseverance you needed to make it.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous piece Mary! Love your watercolor effect, really pretty and the popped up panel looks great. Sorry to hear about the Amazon Parcel. Hopefully you'll still get good use from them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the frame and the water coloring, flower is beautiful!!! Awesome card Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Mary what a lovely creation I love that you water coloured the image is looks so pretty and wonderful CAS style creation
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Pretty watercoloring - and I'm still trying to get the hang of that! Love the simplicity of this beauty.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  34. Glad to see I'm not the only one who struggles with watercoloring. Of course we wouldn't know you did had you not told us because from the looks of this beautiful card, one would never know it! I love the colors you did the flower pod in and then there's that beautiful background. Love it! Love the dragon fly too. I need to watch some more watercolor videos I think! lol Sorry about your watercolors, I always open everything just because I have to look at and oh and aw over it then it goes on the mountain of NBUS. lol But a good thing to remind us to do just that! Nice warm day here today. Sun is out and then in, but still reaching 80. Love it! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  35. You definitely have more patience than me, I would have thrown it and not done another (I think). You have ended up with a beautiful card and I love the painting result, beautiful shading, great to add the dragonfly too. Beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful Mary Glad you found time to create I like the look of watercolor and have been doing a little myself What I really envy you for is your gift to describe and write I never have anything to say .........................Lis

    ReplyDelete
  37. What cool stamps and your watercolor is just plain yummy! Go ahead girl!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Simply beautiful...like a breath of spring time that is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are so brave - I have yet to try water colors and I do love them so much. Bravo Mary - you are off to a good start!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. How lovely! Great job!
    So sorry that happened to you with the package. I sometimes just put things aside for later...and then later never happens...So Ii's something that could happen to me. Especially with Amazon, I have never had a problem with the things that I have ordered there, so I would probably not think twice about double checking...just trusting...but these days anything can happen.

    Hope you have a great weekend, and thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh Mary, this beauty was so worth all the effort ... it's just wonderful! Such a gorgeous colour combo, fresh and lovely ... so pleased you left it un-doodled ... your fabulous panel is perfect amid all that glorious white space! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just gorgeous Mary, wow I could only dream of warm weather, it has been non stop rain really since September. We have over 39.00 inches so far.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'd have probably ended up with a ton of pretty trash!
    Guess I'd better quit piling my stuff up!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a Beauty Mary!
    I love the soft watercolor and the Dragonfly directs the eye so perfectly toward the central part!
    Thank You~

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your efforts paid off, it looks beautiful in these colors.
    ** will keep this in mind. I often order stuff I don't use right away. I usually unwrap new items and admire them for a shorter or longer time before they finally get used:)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you so much for persevering to make a card for my challenge, Mary, and for your very kind words! I think you ended up with a really beautifully watercolored card! I'm so sorry to hear about your paints. I hope they will work just as well; they are such wonderful creamy colors. A couple of mine have broken, but I use them anyway.

    Again, I really appreciate that you played in my NBUS Challenge #6! I apologize for taking so long to come by and thank you. As I've mentioned in my posts, I've been having a rough time with a flare up and migraines so I haven't had as many hours in the day to be on the computer or, for that matter, anywhere other than bed! But I'm doing better and getting some tests done so it's all good! I hope you enjoy your week and get those plumbing repairs done!! Thank you for the catch-up email! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete